Tips for a Successful Interview
The occasion could be when you have applied for a college admission or for a job. You have been fortunate to receive an invitation from them for an interview the coming week. You put efforts into your resume and cover letter to get this interview call. But you cannot afford to relax now, rather you have to convert the good work into success at the interview.The interview is gives your possible new employer a chance to determine whether or not you are up to the task required for the new job, are you motivated enough to do the job, similarly you should also use this opportunity to fully understand if you can be successful in that job position and will there be enough opportunities available to you to grow as professional. Let’s have a look at some tips for that successful interview.
Preparing for an interview – Look for Do a complete check of the Company’s market reputation, history & achievements.What you would also like to do is see how well is the company positioned in the market in the area where you are looking to take up a job.
- The Company’s turnover, financial position & profit.
- They just might ask you about it.
All papers should be properly arranged in a folder: CV / Resume, call letters, mark lists, degree certificates, references, experience certificates.
The Previous Day
- Make a confirmation of the interview venue. If in doubt enquire the distance, and convenient mode of transport It is better to know venue location earlier An important thing is that you plan what you are going to say.
- Repeat frequently to yourself what you would say about your work experience in a manner that best illustrates your past work experience, your skills & education.
- The Interview Day Reach the venue a minimum of 15-30 minutes prior to start of the interview Get acquainted with the interview atmosphere and soak the ambience.
- Extra baggage should be avoided
- Upon reaching there tell the concerned authorities of your being present.
- Waiting Hall Behavior Decorum should be maintained
- Mingle with others as this help you relax
- Avoid gossiping, flirting, making derogatory comments about other companies, smoking, chewing
- Cellphones, ipod or pagers should be switched off.
Reasons for Candidates Failing An Interview
- Poor grooming, manners, diction and vague responses are some reasons for failing an interview and should be avoided at all cost. Discourteous and lean body language
- Monetary benefits-centric approach
- Being late for an interview shows you are not serious about the job itself
- Unappealing resume
- Poor behavior creates a very bad impression; you are as good as risking your job.
- Some Behavioral “Unfavorable” Aspects Having a cynical or negative attitude.
- Not exuding confidence & enthusiasm
- Not taking responsibilities of mistakes you committed.
- Self-justification, aggressiveness
- Appearing to be dumb found by questions or over reacting to questions
- Not being able to show some amount of sense of humor
- Complaining about various things and previous employers
- Not keen to start from slightly lower level job position
- While Entering The Interview Hall Do not show arrogance upon entering but enter confidently
- Close the door gently
- Greet the interviewers warmly and shake their hands only if they offer to do so.
During The Eye Interview
- Show that you are willing to work and give them a couple of good examples of your accomplishments or task that you successfully handled on past jobs.
- Show that you are a flexible person willing to work in a new environment and are very adaptive to changes.
- Do not forget to tell the interviewers what you would like to do for their company and would be willing to walk that extra mile to achieve the Company’s goals.
- Demonstrate that you are willing to learn at your new job also tell them about any on job training you received at your previous jobs and how you fared after such training’s.
- Let the interviewer start with the questions
- Do not mind taking time to frame your answer in your mind before answering, be honest with your answers and you must exude confidence in all your answers.
End Of The Interview
- Sum up in a couple sentences why think you suitable for this job by stating your strengths and experience.
- If you haven’t been asked about a particular subject that you feel is amongst your strong points and will help you secure this job then do make a point to mention it. Also highlight it by the way of an accomplishment. At the end if you want the job let them know strongly about it. Enquire about when the position will be filled. Do ask them if there will be another round of interviews
- Follow Up Send the thanking letter to the company the same day Specify in the letter the point that was discussed
- Thank the Placement Agency, if any Thank your network source, if any In Case Of Stress Interviews Do not get upset under any circumstance
- Do not make it evident to them No matter what show that you are open to their views
- Make it a point to smile
- Do not argue, look for the moment to put across your views with proper justification